Monday 16 November 2009

The joy of skips


Last week I went into work as usual and arrived to find some workmen refurbishing an empty office in the same building. They were busy tearing the place apart so that a new company could move in and had an enormous skip parked out front into which they were throwing large pieces of carpet.


Ever the opportunist I approached one of the demolition men and asked if I could have a piece of carpet, to which he replied I could take my pick of the bits.


Later that same day I nipped out in the car to heave the enormous roll, which had been left outside work for me, into the car and took it home.

Having worked in the trade, I didn’t forget to slip the guys a ‘drink’ (of a tenner) I managed to carpet our lounge for virtually nothing and get rid of the identikit laminate floor in the process. The fitting wasn’t difficult, but very tiring, having to force and squeeze and stretch the carpet to fit, releasing a barrage of curses and expletives.



Here’s a during and after of the fitting, note the exhausted look! It always amazes me the amount of quality materials that end up being skipped without a thought of an alternative use for them. I never miss an opportunity to pick something out of the ‘rubbish’, much to the consternation of Julia, who usually sees the benefit in the end.


The wood project is going well too. The pole lathe is ready to be assembled and I’ve managed to obtain a few decent lengths of ash and oak logs ready for turning. The only impediment is limited space in which to work.



Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment!